Pol-Int Rights of use
§ 1: Transfer of the rights of use
(1) Through the provision of information about publications and events, reviews, conference reports, articles as well as further digital information on the Pol-Int internet site, their authors, as registered Pol-Int Users – recognising these rights of use – transfer the royalty-free right of use without any restriction in content, location and time as well as the irrevocable right of use to the Europa-University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder), which has the right regarding contributions or parts of them, via the Pol-Int editors, to
- reproduce and disseminate them in physical and electronic form as well as publically transmitting them and making them accessible, especially in databases and in data networks of all kinds
- present, exhibit, display and adjust them, as well as, without further authorisation of the authors, to
o regarding the utilisation and use to, in accordance with § 5 of these rights of use, transfer them to academic book publishers in the form of excerpts from book reviews, and/or
o transfer them to non-commerical current (Zeitschrift für Ostmitteleuropa-Forschung and Humanities – Sozial und Kulturgeschichte) as well as future partners of Pol-Int for the copying and dissemination in physical and electronic form as well as the public reproduction and the making available of them, especially in databases – such as in online and offline operated review portals – and in date networks of all sorts.
The granting of rights also includes other unknown types of use in accordance with § 31 of German Copyright Law.
(2) The authors agrees to the use of reviews and conference reports composed by Pol-Int by current (Zeitschrift für Ostmitteleuropa-Forschung and Humanities – Sozial und Kulturgeschichte) and future partners as secondary use or for further use, with Pol-Int disclosed as being the first place of publication. In this respect, the authors transfer – acknowledging the rights of use – the royalty-free right of use without any restriction in content, location and time as well as the irrevocable right of use to the Europa-University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder), which has the right regarding contributions or parts of them, via the Pol-Int editors, to
- reproduce and disseminate them in physical and electronic form as well as publically transmitting them and making them accessible, especially also in databases and in data networks of all kinds
- present, exhibit, display, adjust as well as editing them.
The granting of rights also includes other unknown types of use in accordance with § 31 a German Copyright Law. Should you have any questions please contact email@example.com.
(3) Authors retain the copyright of their texts. The authors retain the right to independently disseminate and utilise their texts, also that which has been edited by Pol-Int's editors, listing the place of first publication.
§ 2: Legality of the provided information
The authors are themselves responsible for the legal clarification of the provided information, which is elsewhere subject to the right of use in part or wholly. The authors ensure that they are entitled to possess the work to be published, including the third-party rights conferred to them to illustrations, photos etc. which will be used in the author's articles, and that none of the rights are in conflict with those granted to them in accordance with § 1 of these rights of use. The authors exempt the Europa University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder) as well as the Pol-Int editors from all claims by third parties that are brought against the Europa University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder) or the editors due to transgressions of copyright and/or personal rights.
§ 3: Use of the provided information by Pol-Int’s partners
Institutions which have signed an agreement of co-operation with Pol-Int or will do so in the future, can, without further requests use the provided information, referencing the authors, the holder of copyright as well as the exact information about the date and URL of the first publication, in accordance with § 1 para. 2. Recommeded citation format: Max Mustermann: Review about: A. N. Other: Exemplary citation. The crux of good academic praxis, 2015, in https://www.pol-int.org/de/publikationen/beispielhafteszitieren#r3836 [29/02/2016].
§ 4: The use of information already provided through third parties
Regarding the reproduction and further utilisation of information that has already been provided through third parties on Pol-Int, the authors' written agreement (authors) as well as Pol-Int (copyright holders) and their partners is to be sought. To add to this, an exact reference with the
place and date of first publication is to be included. In the case of personal, non-commercial use, an exact reference to the place of first publication as well as the copyright as well as right of use holder will suffice.
§ 5: Rules regarding the use of extracts from book reviews by book publishers
The authors and Pol-Int agree to the use without remuneration of extracts from book reviews that were first published on Pol-Int by academic book publishers, in accordance with the proposed regulation by the Association of German Book Publishers, sans that any separate authorisation by the authors would be required in individual cases, under the following conditions:
1. The extract does not contain more than five sentences. The compilation of several unrelated text excerpts is at this juncture possible, as long as these do not exceed the maximum length. The use of longer text excerpts and complete reviews always requires special approval.
2. The extract will be circulated on verbatim and precisely and may not be shortened so as to distort it. The selection of extracts is not allowed to run counter to the trend of the review.
3. The extract will be wholly used in connection with the sales promotion and advertisement of the respective titles and/or one or more headings of the same author.
4. The allowances includes the usual advertisement measures and product information, offline and online, in all distribution channels including in product catalogues and databases of disseminating book traders, libraries and of the "Verzeichnisses lieferbarer Bücher" ("German books in print"). This use is also granted within the scope of Public Relations, licensing business (where required also in a faithful translation) and for events such as lectures and fairs.
5. This use will require the source to be indicated. The list of references is the medium by which the review was first made public and, where possible, the reviewer is to be named.
6. The successful transfer, on demand, of review copies exclusively occurs with the aim of discussing the books. A resale is not admissible. Prescribed vesting periods will be observed as regards the publication of reviews.
7. The recognition of these regulations is valid for an unlimited period once they have been stated. They can be retracted at any time, with effect for future reviews and talks.
§ 6: Revision of the provided information by Pol-Int
Upon completion of the editorial process, the authors will receive their text for a final check. The publication will only occur following the given of consent by the authors. Correction requests by the authors will be considered by Pol-Int up to this point. Changes will not be possible following publication.
Pol-Int reserves the right to explicitly carry out necessary changes, also after publication, in particular with regards to the factual correctness of statements or orthographic-grammatical accuracy. The editors are also entitled to shorten texts when this does not detract from the quality of the text.
The suitability of publication is decided upon by the Pol-Int editors. Should doubt arise as to the quality of the text after its publication, the editors are entitled to remove the text contribution from the Pol-Int website.
§ 7: The transfer of review copies
The books that will be transferred to the authors as review copies will only be transferred to the property of the authors following the final publication of the relevant reviews, and should be treated with care. Review copies, about which no review is submitted six months after receivership, can be reclaimed from the reviewers, or a bill be can sent in order to replace the book.
§ 8: Information as to general Pol-Int terms and conditions and data protection regulations