Institute of History of the Czech Academy of Sciences.
The Institute of History of the Czech Academy of Sciences (further as IH) builds on the tradition of the Czechoslovak State Historical Publishing Institute, which was founded in 1920 – shortly after the creation of the Czechoslovak state itself – with the primary aim of making rich source material relating to Czech and European history accessible (editions). In 1952 this became part of the (then Czechoslovak) Academy of Sciences. As a consequence of the events of the Prague Spring, at the turn of the 1970s the IH was not only renamed (from 1970–1990 it was the Institute of Czechoslovak & World History) but also suffered from forced departures (including that of František Šmahel, among others) and even the imprisonment of some its leading experts (Jaroslav Mezník). The palette of themes for research was also restructured. Nevertheless, even during this period a series of valuable works came to be (e.g. synthetic histories of Czechoslovakia and the Czech Lands to 1848, and a series of monographs, in particular on early Czech history).