The conference 'Biographies and Politics: The Involvement of Jews and People of Jewish Origin in Leftist Movements in 19th and 20th Century Poland' aims to determine the actual Jewish engagement in leftist movements in Poland in the 19th and 20th centuries from the point of view of their individual ideological choices.
Personal histories, family fortunes, and forming political identities will be analyzed using a biographical method. Thus, they will help answer the question of what drove Polish Jews to join leftist organizations.
The conference will be attended by scholars from Europe, the United States, Israel and Australia, who specialize in research on the formation of Jewish political identities based on biographical sources.
The conference is organized within the Global Education Outreach Program.
The conference was made possible thanks to the support of
- Taube Philanthropies
- the William K. Bowes, Jr. Foundation
- the Association of the Jewish Historical Institute of Poland
- Stiftung für deutsch-polnische Zusammenarbeit
- European Association of Jewish Studies
- Deutsch-Polnische Wissenschaftsstiftung
- the Gotteiner Institute for the History of the Bund and the Jewish Labor Movement at the University of Haifa