The Institute for Sociology of the Slovak Academy of Science, an interdisciplinary research institution bringing together Sociology, Social Anthropology, Human Geography and Political Science, is currently recruiting PhD students for its 2021 entry programme. We have two fully funded, four-year positions available, offering scholars passionate about research an inspiring research environment, with excellent infrastructure and a dynamic research community. While the Institute specialises in the social life of Central and Eastern Europe, we also welcome projects pertaining to other regions. There is no topical restriction, although we are especially interested in projects that complement the expertise of our institute. Please check our website for more details: http://www.sociologia.sav.sk/en/
Eligibility criteria: Master's degree in Sociology or related discipline. If you are currently enrolled in the MA programme you may still apply, although your acceptance to the programme will be conditional and depending on your MA results. Speaking Slovak is not a prerequisite but it will be an advantage.
Please note: our Institute offers two separate paths of recruitment for the PhD programme:
- Open call: applicants submit their research proposals without any topical restrictions
- Topical call: applicants submit proposals corresponding with projects currently undertaken by the senior scholars of the Institute. Research topics for the Topical Call will be announced in spring 2021, the deadline for which will be in May 2021.
This recruitment call is for the Open Call. If you are interested in applying, please submit the following:
- Project proposal not exceeding two pages (please suggest the name of your potential supervisor).
- Personal statement (one page) explaining why you are interested in pursuing a PhD and what are your plans for the future.
- Names and email addresses of two scholars who can provide academic references.
- Transcript of records (scanned copy is sufficient at this stage).
We strongly encourage that you contact your potential supervisor before making an official application.
Successful candidates will benefit from a double affiliation with the Slovak Academy of Sciences and the Faculty of Arts of Comenius University. Our students have limited teaching obligations, allowing them to focus primarily on research. In the first two years, they receive an annual stipend of 9,690 Euros (after tax/net) which is increased to 11,280 Euros for the two final years after successfully passing the PhD exam. Students are covered by universal health care insurance. If you are interested in joining us and becoming a member of a vibrant international community of scholars at the heart of Europe, please submit your documents through email to email@example.com by January 15, 2021.
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org