Stellen & Stipendien: Anzeigen
International PhD Programme "Literary and Cultural Studies" (IPP) | Stellenangebot
Justus Liebig University Giessen
DisziplinenKulturwissenschaft Literaturwissenschaft Slawistik Theaterwissenschaft
The International PhD Programme “Literary and Cultural Studies” (IPP) at Justus Liebig University Giessen offers a three-year structured PhD programme with an excellent research environment and intensive personal support. The IPP provides doctoral researchers with optimum conditions for their PhD projects and custom-made preparation for the time thereafter, both with regard to academic and non-academic careers.
The IPP invites applications for one of up to 12 PhD memberships.
The programme period for new members begins on October 1, 2022. The IPP offers a clearly structured and research-oriented doctoral programme of high academic standard. Its curriculum is tailored to suit the needs of national and international postgraduate students and facilitates the completion of the doctoral degree within three years, while at the same time ensuring the academic quality of the PhD. Participating departments include English and American Studies, German Studies, Romance Studies, Slavic Studies, Comparative Literary Studies and Theatre Studies. The languages of instruction are English and German.The IPP constitutes an international meeting point for postgraduate students and scholars of diverse academic backgrounds and has established a lively context for stimulating academic debates. It is committed to cutting-edge research in four key areas in the field of Literary and Cultural Studies: Literary and Cultural Theory, Genre Theory, Literary and Cultural Historiography, Comparative and Interdisciplinary Issues.
As a member of the IPP you are entitled to:
- participate in the IPP’s curriculum and the GGK/GCSC study programme, which consists of a wide range of courses, including bi-weekly graduate colloquia, workshops, master classes with top-ranking international scholars as well as courses offered by the GGK/GCSC Career Service and the GCSC Teaching Centre;
- apply for travel grants for research and conference trips;
- receive support and guidance in all matters related to the PhD throughout your membership;
- benefit from excellent opportunities to gain international conference, publishing and teaching experience;
- pursue independent research in the GGK research and working groups;
- rely on expert scholarship advice, helping you to secure funding for your postgraduate studies.
We strongly recommend that applicants search and apply for funding options parallel to their applications to the IPP. International applicants can consider applying for a Research Grant for Doctoral Studies in Germany sponsored by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) or comparable funding institutions.
Eligibility: Applicants need to hold a university degree in Literary or Cultural Studies with a G.P.A. well above average (international degrees must be equivalent to German ‘Diplom’, ‘Magister’, ‘Master’ or ‘Erstes Staatsexamen’ degrees). Only projects for which supervision can be offered within the departments at Justus Liebig University Giessen and which are relevant to the IPP profile can be considered. An international research perspective and/or international study experience are an advantage.
Application procedure and deadline:The main selection criteria are the candidates’ academic qualifications, the academic quality of the research proposal and the suitability of the project for the IPP’s research programme.
If you are interested in applying to the IPP, please submit the following documents:
- a covering letter stating your motivation for applying to the IPP, addressing how your project fits with the IPP profile
- curriculum vitae with a detailed description of your academic profile
- copies of all relevant school-leaving/university entrance certificates and university degree certificates (including transcripts of records)
- a copy of your diploma/MA thesis
- two letters of reference from a university teacher providing information about your academic qualifications
- an outline of the dissertation project of no more than 10 pages as well as an indication of the time-frame envisaged for the completion of the project
Due to potential pandemic-related limits in access to libraries and research facilities, the IPP application deadline has been extended to February 15, 2022. All applications should to be submitted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send all application documents as one pdf-file, titled <last name>_Application, and attach your diploma/MA thesis as a separate pdf-file, titled <last name>_Thesis. Covering letters should be addressed to the academic director of the IPP:
Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Ansgar Nünning International PhD Programme (IPP) "Literary and Cultural Studies" Giessen Graduate School for the Humanities (GGK) Justus Liebig University Giessen Alter Steinbacher Weg 38 35394 Giessen Germany